Reyes Peak & Haddock Mountain
( Location : Ventura County, about 15 miles north of Ojai,
125 miles from Los Angeles )
Date : June 28, 2020 09:46 ~ 14:45 ( 4h 59m )
Course : Trailhead ( 09:46; 6953’ ) ~ Reyes Peak ( 10:19; 1.05 Mile; 7514’; 560’ Gain ; Lunch ) ~ Haddock Mountain ( 12:17; 4.5 Miles; 7431’; 1468’ Gain ) ~ Trailhead ( 14:45; 8.9 Miles; 6953’; 2160’ Gain )
With : Sierra Club HPS 8 Members ( Private Hike )
DRIVING ROUTE 1
· Take US 101 (Ventura Freeway) to Ventura and go north on SR 33 to the town of Ojai.
· From Ojai, go north on SR 33 for about 31 miles to Pine Mountain Summit (signed). There is a paved road junction on the right - Pine Mountain Road (6N06). Turn right onto this road. Note your odometer and go as follows:
· At 4.7 miles, campground. Keep straight.
· At 5.7 miles, another campground. Keep straight.
· At 6.3 miles, pavement ends.
· At 6.9 miles, the road ends at a parking area in a saddle. Park here. Ample parking. This location is also the parking area for Haddock Mountain.
HIKING ROUTE 1
· From the parking area (7000'), pass the barricade at the end of the road and go about 300 yards to another saddle where the road goes downhill. Two trails start here. The left one goes somewhat downhill along the north side of the mountain. This trail goes to Haddock Mountain.
· Take the right trail and follow it up the ridge.
· Follow it around the south side of elevation 7255' and continue up to the summit.